Convert IANA timezones to Windows

The IANA timezones database is probably the most used standard to reference a timezone by name (a lot of libraries use it).

The problem comes when you need to use these timezones informations in a C# program: Windows timezones have different names and there’s no standard method to convert a IANA timezone to a Windows one.

Informations about the relation between IANA and Windows timezones  are accessible here:
http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/supplemental/windowsZones.xml

Looking at the data is clear that you can convert from a IANA timezone to a Windows one, but a Windows timezone cannot be converted to a single IANA timezone. This is because Windows groups more than one timezone under the same name.

I made a test project to demonstrate how to convert timezones: just deserialize the data and look for the corresponding timezone.

You can download the test project here: IANATimezonesConverter.zip

 

Universal Windows Platform Hamburger menu navigation

A lot of UWP apps use the hamburger menu for page navigation, so I made a sample app.

pc2

Since Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Page is a UserControl the idea is to just replace the content of the MainPage instead of really navigate through pages.

I encountered some problems:

I solved these problems by creating a BasePage class with properties to set transitions and exposing new navigation events. The NavigationCacheMode is managed by the code.

Sadly NavigationEventArgs cannot be inherited (it’s a sealed class) and has no constructor so I had to use my own class.

The example app has some pages to navigate through and uses different transitions. The app runs correctly on the PC and on the phone.

To change the menu appearence on mobile I used the VisualStateManager: on mobile (but also on pc if you resize the window to less than 720 pixels) the menu is totally closed and a little larger when opened.

Here are some screenshots:

The app looks good also using the dark theme

I made a simple control for the menu item and in the MainPage there’s the standard SplitView. To let the code open the correct page and select the menu item you need to put in the ActionName the page’s class name.

Pages must inherit from the BasePage class but are normal pages for the rest.

All the “dirty” work is done in App.cs (back stack, page cache, show/hide the back button, manage the back button event).

 

You can download the source code here.

If you have advice, ideas, better solutions feel free to leave a comment.

Have fun. 😉

WpfMpdClient 1.9.0 released

I updated WpfMpdClient after a long time. A user reported that the program wasn’t working with MPD v.0.19 so I had a look to fix this issue…I also changed other things. 🙂

The new version has some UI improvements (bigger fonts, icons, loading indicators) and some code improvements (data are now loaded asynchronously).

Here you can see some screenshots of the new version.

wpfmpdclient_1 wpfmpdclient_2 wpfmpdclient_3

I tested this release with MPD’s snapshot version 0.20, let me know if it works also with 0.19

You can download WpfMpdClient here.

Problemi Wifi Extender e Android

Di recente ho deciso di collegare la chiavetta Android, che giaceva inutilizzata in un cassetto, alla televisione della camera da letto per poter vedere Netflix.

Purtroppo il segnale wifi nell’angolo dove è posizionato il televisore è debole. Questo, unito al fatto che il chip wifi della mia chiavetta non brilla in potenza, mi impediva di utilizzare Netflix.

Mi sono quindi dotato di un Wifi Extender: un apparecchio economico e semplice da configurare che si collega ad una presa e non fa altro che estendere il segnale wifi facendo da ripetitore.

Il modello che ho acquistato è il TP-LINK Pocket Range Extender N 300Mbps TL-WA854RE

Collegato e configurato in cinque minuti come da istruzioni (ed aspettative) sembra funzionare benissimo: sia il mio cellulare (un Lumia 930) che il portatile (con Windows 10) si collegano senza alcun problema e navigano ad una velocità più che accettabile.

Collego la chiavetta e, con mia grande sorpresa, iniziano i problemi: non riesce neanche a stabilire la connessione bloccandosi su “Acquisizione indirizzo ip” per un po’ per poi ritentare.

Controllo le impostazioni del DHCP e sembra tutto a posto, provo ad attivare il DHCP dell’extender (di default è disattivato perché dovrebbe essere quello del router principale ad assegnare gli ip) ma non cambia nulla: Android proprio non riesce ad ottenere un indirizzo ip.

Arreso all’evidenza che il DHCP per qualche motivo non funziona assegno un indirizzo statico alla chiavetta Android ed imposto manualmente gateway e dns. In questo modo la connessione al wifi funziona, ma internet non va.

Tra tentativi di resettare l’extender, riconfigurarlo, modifiche alla configurazione del wifi del router (AES, TKIP, channel) mi accorgo di una cosa stranissima: con la chiavetta Android collegata al wifi Extender nessun altro device riesce a navigare in internet o riesce a farlo ad una velocità veramente bassa e ad intermittenza, appena disattivato il wifi tutti gli altri device ricominciano a navigare.

Qualche ricerca su Google mi ha dato il giusto consiglio: disattivare le opzioni WMM e Short GI (attive di default).

wifi_extender

Ora tutti i device si collegano correttamente al wifi Extender ed anche la navigazione internet è ottima.